. String Subcommands - length index range .
[ Previous | Index | Next ]
One feature of Tcl is that commands may have subcommands. String is an example of one of these. The string command treats the first argument as a subcommand. This lesson covers these string subcommands:
- string length string
- Returns the length of string
- string index string index
- Returns the char at the index'th position in string
- string range string first last
- Returns a string composed of the characters from first to last
. Example .
set string "this is my test string"
puts "There are [string length $string] characters in \"$string\""
puts "[string index $string 1] is the second character in \"$string\""
puts "\"[string range $string 5 10]\" are characters between the 5'th and 10'th"